Sunday, 1 April 2012

Sunday Sketches . . . She Believed She Could



This is my Sunday Sketches entry for this week. I did this the other afternoon, using a variety of techniques. The Background is done in watercolour, which I threw a mixture of fine and large grained salt on before it dried, which gives it that lovely textured look. I quite like the effect. Once it is dried, I brush all the salt off. The rest of the piece is done with copic markers, which is one of my favourite mediums to use. Kind of like colouring I guess, but there is a right way and a wrong way to use them. I've also used chalked to give the glow from the moon in the night sky and the leaves on the tree branches and little night moths are rubber stamped. The lettering is done via Picassa, using one of the fonts that I have on there. All in all I am quite happy with this. As usual this is available as a print or as a card. Just message me to find out more.



And do go on over to the Sunday Sketches page to check out all of the other lovely entries for the week!

13 comments:

Catherine... said...

I love using salt on watercolour...great fun... your girly is gorgeous, especially love her wings.. :)

Tammie Lee said...

this is quite lovely
charming, I love her wings ~
and i loved that you shared how you created it.

Debbie said...

I love your painting and the words! great job!

Za faran said...

Its so very beautiful! The message, the technique, the lil one sitting there...moths..everything!

Heather Santos said...

Wow, this is beautiful! Love the whole thing, especially the background. Very cool technique. One of my favorite sayings too!

WrightStuff said...

Oh this is lovely. I can just see it framed on the wall of a girl's bedroom...

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

She is divine and magical and so well done ~lover her and the words are excellent ~ thanks, namaste, ^_^

Kristin Aquariann said...

Yay, a fairy!! All those techniques came together gloriously. Beautiful piece.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

lovely saying and illustration. i tried the salt on watercolor once but i guess i put too much salt. your background is great and i love the little fairy with the pigtails!

Sophia said...

Wow, Marie. She's stunning and beautiful. I love her wings and the magic about this piece. :) Thank you for sharing!

Denise Gilgannon said...

Lovely, ethereal! You hav e such a gentle style!

Tracy said...

This is PURE DELIGHT, Marie... I just LOVE those wings! Will you be making some of those for grown-ups? ;o) Had to ask! Fun with your Sunday Sketch... I would like to do/join something like this later in the year. ((LOVE & HUGS))

Helen said...

Such a lovely sketch and I love the details - her feet are great and the wings too. Happy SS