Wednesday, 9 May 2012

WOYWW, Go Forward with Purpose



I was recently contacted and asked if I would do a special card for a young lady who is graduating this year.  She is a sweet young woman, who has been in a wheelchair for most of her life due to having been born with Spina Bifida.  She's also LDS like I am and so her Gran wanted it to have a touch of her own faith in it as well.  I was honored to have been asked, and is what I came up with.  Instead of having her seated in her wheelchair I wanted to show her seated upon the seat of learning.  Too often people are labeled by the tools of their disability . . . and when you see a person in a wheelchair, or with a cane, or braces . . . that is too often all that you see, and what they are identified with . . . but . . .  they are so very much more than that wheelchair, or cane . . .

I chose a quote from the late President of our church, Gordon B Hinckley.  He had a great heart for the youth of our church and I believe they held a great fondness for him in their hearts as well. 

That is what is on my work desk this week.  Making cards today.  Hop on over to Julia's page to see what's on some other work desks.  You will be surprised and utterly amazed!  Trust me on this!

14 comments:

AJ Scrapbooking and Cards said...

You are so true. I'm so happy you could touch her life. A Big Congrats to this wonderful young lady. Life give us things we can't control; but it can't stop us. Happy WOYWW #70 AJ~

Neesie said...

I loved this card on you're Daybook entry but it means even more now that I realise the card is for someone in a wheelchair...to use the books is pure genius Marie. Perfect!
I totally agree with you're comments about disability too.
Have a wonderful Wednesday ~ enjoy WOYWW ;D Neesie # 45 (I was #7 earlier today...not quite sure how that works! Good job I checked but I know you know me by now xoxo

Darla said...

How adorable! 103

Karen said...

Congrats to a remarkable lady on her success and an adorable card you have made for her, its beautiful :)

Have a fab WOYWW and a lovely week, Hugs, Karen xx #49

Miriam said...

Congrats to a wonderful lady - thanks for sharing.

#97

CraftygasheadZo said...

I absolutely love this, as someone who has disabilities and a graduate I reckon you've got this spot on! Wonderful. Take care, enjoy WOYWW this week, I know I will! Zo xx 73

Redanne said...

A beautiful card for what sounds like an exceptional young lady. Happy WOYWW from Anne #2

minnemie said...

This is beautiful! The art, the words and honoring the disabled by not defining them by their "wounds." SO endearing.

Hazel said...

Super card and fab quote - thanks for sharing (Hazel, WOYWW #95) x

Dragon said...

those books are a genious touch
Frankie
xx

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

Wonderful and heartfelt! We should all have purpose in our heart! Patsy from
HeARTworks

May said...

Beautiful!!! made with such love..Fabulous quote, Have a happy week, Hugs May x x x#31

Julia Dunnit said...

It's a lovely card. It wouldn't have occurred to me that the character was sitting down for any reason other than having got to the top of the pile of books!

Tracy said...

LOVELY... and such a wonderful message--beautiful work, as always, Marie! :o) LOVE YOU ((BIG HUGS))