Saturday, 5 January 2013

Chickadees and Questions . . .

Photobucket

This is very much a work in progress here.  I started this yesterday afternoon.  It's a pair of chickadees . . . and quite far from being finished at this point.  I've only used the one colour so far . . . black in varying shades.   I am almost afraid to touch another colour to it for fear I will ruin it.

What makes an artist an artist?   I find myself pondering that question these days.   I did not have the benefit of going to art school like I wanted to when I was younger.  All that I do is very much hit and miss . . . education by accident, and hopefully I learn more from my mistakes than I ever would have learned in school.  

I only know for sure that I am compelled to create.  Does that make me an artist?

4 comments:

Tracey said...

I think that the chickadees are wonderful and I can totally understand about you being afraid to touch another colour to it. What is the worst that can happen? the colours wont look right but then couldnt you start again? I just looked up the meaning of artist
art·ist
/ˈärtist/
Noun

A person who produces paintings or drawings as a profession or hobby.
A person who practices any of the various creative arts, such as a sculptor, novelist, poet, or filmmaker.

Synonyms
artiste - painter - performer - craftsman

I definately think that you are a wonderful artist. Tracey x

Shells said...

Those chickadees are gorgeous, yes, you are most definitely an artist.

Blond Duck said...

Don't touch it! It's perfect!

I don't know if I'm an artist or just a writer who has fun painting.

Ilona said...

Your question hits it for me, as I feel exactly the same! Maybe that makes us artists? I don't know.

Your birds look wonderful! Maybe you could use some transparent paper to lay over and paint in different colours on top of it, to see the effect?

Kind regards Ilona